The Bank Verification Number (BVN) which is an 11 digit number was introduced in Nigeria in other to curbed all forms of financial fraud and theft. The BVN serve as your universal identity (ID) in all the banks and financial institution within the country. So as you can see this is for your own personal banking safety.
I have seen many people having one problem or the other about their BVN details which include, the wrong date of birth or names. This problem can really affect you in the banking sector.
Try as much as possible to avoid any form of mistake when feeling out forms for a new bank account or other forms that require your BVN number (If you already have BVN). Make sure the names and dates of birth details you give correspond with the one on your BVN.
What of if the deed has been done. For example, you want to open a new bank account and you don’t know the dates of birth you use during your BVN registration.
You may like to read How To Block All Bank ATM Card In Nigeria If Stolen Or Lost.
Well, you can actually check your BVN date of birth and details. But you can only do so by visiting the Bank you enroll with or any of the Bank branch you have an account with.
You Might Like To Read:
- How To Change First Bank Phones Number Online.
- How To Change Gtbank Phone Number and Email Address Online.
- How To Change UBA Bank Phone Number/Alert Number.
- Advantage And Benefits Of A Domiciliary Account
- How To Send & Receive Money In/To A Domiciliary Account In Nigeria
First of all, you need to copy your BVN number by dialing this code *565*0# using the mobile number you registered with. Copy the code and visits any of the Bank branches to check your BVN Date of birth and other info. If you have an account with GTBank, dial *737*6*1# to check your BVN number.
How To Correct and Update Your BVN Details.
To update your BVN or makes some corrections which can be a name, date of birth and phone number, you will need the following documents.
- To change the date of birth: Birth certificate.
- To change names and other details due to marriage: Marriage certificate as proof.
- For a change of names, phone number: You will need an international passport, national identity card or voters card showing the correct name.
After you have all the requirements above, take them to any of your bank branches and they will attend to you.
Hint To Note: There is no method, for now, to know your BVN details without going to the bank because all BVN database is secured (Correct me if I’m wrong).
You can only check your BVN number with this code *565*0# both on MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9Mobile. After that, a charge of N20 will be deducted from your account and the 11 digit number will be sent to you.